We ♥ Play
Here at Caterpillar Café we believe that role play plays a key part in childhood development. It is a basic form of play where children can get into character and act out a role or real life situations.
10 key benefits of role play for children
- Develops communication and language skills
- Allows children to act out and make sense of real-life situations
- Allows children to explore, investigate and experiment
- Develops social skills as children collaborate with others
- Encourages children to empathise: by taking on the role of character teaches children an understanding of different perspectives.
- Helps children learn about different cultures
- Encourages children to express their ideas and feelings in a relaxed environment
- Develops children’s awareness of themselves and others
- Gets children learning more as learning is disguised as play
- Sparks creativity and imagination
Why is role play with children so effective?
Role play is an effective learning tool as it encourages children to become active participants in their learning.
Children can wear a costume and use props, move about and use their energy to put themselves in someone else’s shoes, communicate and make decisions in character, all of which will allow them to take risks and explore different areas.
Learning from role play is therefore far more likely to stick with children than for example doing exercise sheets, mostly because they will be much more willing and enthusiastic!
Check out our Gallery to see our Play Zone area!
Information obtained from: